Today I taught my first restorative yoga class. I’ve taught meditation, yin, yoga nidra, slow flow, and gentle flow/challenge, but never restorative. I’m sharing my class teaching with an another amazing teacher, as we are able to organize our every-other-weekends (hers with a daughter in travel sports, me with my 500-hour meditation teaching coursework), and this opening class was all me.
In this session, I shared the intention of exploring our space and spaces through breath and deep rest. It was lovely, it was expansive, and I could feel the depth of rest from my students upon returning to an easy seat.
I’ve been contemplating the idea of physical, mental, emotional, and heart-based space for the past few weeks in spiritual reading, journaling, mediation, and my own yoga practices. Before class, I spent a few hours at my favorite coffee shop exploring space through writing. Here are all of the questions I came up with today for you to consider, play with, journal, or meditate on. (We didn’t get to them all).
25 Questions on Space
- What does space mean to you?
- Through what senses do you notice your space?
- How do you take up space?
- How much space do you have that you shrink from occupying? Why?
- What if the stars and moon and Milky Way swirl we see in the sky filled the space inside of us? How would it feel?
- What would it feel like to float in space?
- What would it feel like to inhale that space?
- In what spaces do you keep yourself small?
- How do your thoughts of time (day, week, month) keep you small? Is there any way you can expand?
- Where does your life keep you small? Feel into the spaces where you can expand.
- How does your family keep you small? Where can you invite more of yourself?
- How can you take up more space on your mat?
- How can you take up more space in your body?
- How can you take up more space as your authentic self?
- How do you find space?
- How do you know when you need more space?
- Do you know when and what kind of space would make you feel more authentic?
- What would they be?
- How can you honor this?
- How can you honor this when you’re under stress?
- How can you honor it in some way every day?
- Can you make space for space?
- How do you make physical space for yourself?
- How do you make mental space for yourself?
- How do you make emotional space for yourself?
- How do you make creative space for yourself?
- How do you make playful space for yourself?
- What if you take up space as the person you want to be? What fears come up? How can you release them?
- Where do you notice space in your Self right now?
- What space in your Self would you love to sink into right now?